Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Emergency Dog and Cat Poisoning Treatment in Evansville, IN

Somehow, our pets always seem to know which areas are off-limits—and head straight for them. We know that you do your best to protect your dog or cat from any kind of harm, but there are many toxic substances readily accessible at home or outside that can poison a pet.

Chateau Dog & Cat Hospital in Evansville, IN, is equipped to provide emergency care if your animal accidentally ingests anything poisonous. For compassionate, skilled treatment of a dog or cat poisoning, contact us immediately. We also offer after-hours emergency care.


What to Do If Your Pet Is Poisoned

Even when you do everything possible to keep your cats and dogs safe, sometimes an emergency strikes. Being prepared is the best defense for any serious problem, so keep our office phone number on hand for emergency advice and care. Call our office right away if you believe your pet has eaten or come in contact with a poisonous substance.

If possible, locate the food or chemical your pet ingested. Identifying the poison will speed up diagnosis and treatment by the vet. You can also contact the national Pet Poison Helpline 24/7 for fast advice by calling 1 (855) 213-6680. The animal experts who respond to emergency calls can tell you if you need to take your pet to a veterinary office and what you can do before arriving. Typically, either you or your veterinarian will need to induce vomiting to clear out the ingested poison. Never attempt this yourself without first consulting your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline.

Chateau Dog & Cat Hospital does not recommend home remedies without consulting a veterinarian first. You may do more harm than good without the professional medical training of a vet. However, you should prepare a pet first aid kit, which is a wise idea for any emergency.

Common Household Items That Can Poison Your Pets

Even if you think your house is safe from toxic substances, there are plenty of common household products that can harm your pet. As a general rule, make sure that foods, cleaning products, and medical supplies remain secure and out of reach.

Here are a few specific foods, chemicals, and substances that can harm a pet if consumed:

  • Food items: Chocolate, coffee (or anything with caffeine), grapes, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, alcohol, avocados, chicken bones, and raw meat (which may contain bacteria your domestic pet can’t handle).
  • Household pharmaceuticals: Any human medication, including basic painkillers like acetaminophen, can seriously damage your pet’s liver or interfere with the flow of oxygen throughout his or her body. Even veterinary medications prescribed for your pet can be dangerous if your pet overdoses on it. Be sure to keep all medications safely locked up and out of reach of your pets.
  • Chemicals: Insecticides, rodenticides, and fertilizer may contain toxic chemicals that could poison your pet. Make sure to read all labels, or ask your lawn care and pest exterminator if the products they use are harmful to your cats and dogs. Cleaning products, laundry detergent, and antifreeze are also highly poisonous to animals.

Request Your Appointment Today!